Practical Instant Pot Brunswick Stew Directions, Easy Instant Pot Brunswick Stew Directions, Instant Pot Brunswick Stew Directions
- Level: Easy
- Total: 1 hr
- Active: 30 min
- Yield: 8 servings
1 pound chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
One 12-ounce smoked ham hock
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen lima beans
1 cup frozen peas
1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Bread, cornbread, biscuits or saltine crackers, for serving
- Set a 6-quart Instant Pot® to high saute (see Cook’s Note) and allow it to heat up for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and a generous amount of pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to the pot and sear the beef on all sides until golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pot with the carrots, celery and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire, hot sauce, 2 teaspoons salt and a few grinds of pepper and stir until combined. Add the beef, ham hock, corn, lima beans, peas, potatoes and 2 cups water and stir to combine.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guide for locking the lid and preparing to cook. Set to pressure cook on high for 30 minutes.
- After the pressure-cook cycle is complete, follow the manufacturer’s guide for quick release and wait until the quick-release cycle is complete. Being careful of any remaining steam, unlock and remove the lid.
- Remove the ham hock, cut off any meat and return it to the stew; discard the bone. Season the stew with salt and pepper and serve with bread, cornbread, biscuits or saltine crackers.