Practical Home-style chicken curry, Home-style chicken curry, Home-style chicken curry Directions
PREP: 15 MINS COOK: 30 MINS EASY SERVES 4
- 1 large onion
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 50g ginger, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp
- 5cm cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned, boneless (about 800g)
- 250ml hot chicken stock
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Roughly chop 1 large onion, transfer to a small food processor, and add 3 tbsp of water – process to a slack paste. You could use a stick blender for this or coarsely crush the garlic to a paste with a knife or garlic press and finely grate the ginger.
- Heat 4 tbsp vegetable oil in a wok or sturdy pan set over a medium heat.
- Combine 2 tsp cumin seeds and 1 tsp fennel seeds with a 5cm cinnamon stick and 1 tsp chilli flakes and add to the pan in one go. Swirl everything around for about 30 secs until the spices release a fragrant aroma.
- Add the onion paste – it will splutter in the beginning. Fry until the water evaporates and the onions turn a lovely dark golden – this should take about 7-8 mins.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook for another 2 mins – stirring all the time.
- Stir in 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp turmeric, and 1 tsp caster sugar and continue cooking for 20 secs before tipping in a 400g can chopped tomatoes.
- Continue cooking on a medium heat for about 10 mins without a lid until the tomatoes reduce and darken.
- Cut 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs into 3cm chunks and add to the pan once the tomatoes have thickened to a paste.
- Cook for 5 mins to coat the chicken in the masala and seal in the juices, and then pour over 250ml hot chicken stock.
- Simmer for 8-10 mins without a lid until the chicken is tender and the masala lightly thickened – you might need to add an extra ladleful of stock or water if the curry needs it.
- Sprinkle with 2 tbsp chopped coriander and serve with Indian flatbreads or fluffy basmati rice and a pot of yogurt on the side.