Practical Amatriciana chicken traybake, Amatriciana chicken traybake, Amatriciana chicken traybake Directions
PREP: 15 MINS COOK: 1 HR EASY SERVES 4
- 1 long red chilli
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 500g new potato
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 140g cubetti di pancetta (or smoked bacon lardons)
- 400g tomato, half cherry or baby plum, the rest is up to you – any larger ones halved
- green salad and bread, to serve (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Find a large roasting tin that will hold the chicken thighs and potatoes in a single layer. Halve the chilli, scrape out and discard the seeds if you don’t like it too hot, and remove the stalk. Put in a small food processor or mini chopper with the tomato purée, olive oil and garlic. Whizz to a paste, then spread over the chicken. Add the chicken and potatoes to the tin with a good grinding of black pepper and some salt, then mix everything together well with your hands. Add the thyme and roast for 30 mins.
- Stir in the pancetta and roast for 15 mins more, then add the tomatoes and roast for another 15 mins until the tomatoes have softened and the chicken is cooked. Serve straight from the pan and eat with a green salad and some bread, if you like, for mopping up the juices.