Easy Chicken & mushroom puff pie, Practical Chicken & mushroom puff pie, Chicken & mushroom puff pie
PREP: 45 MINS COOK: 30 MINS EASY SERVES 4 – 6
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cut into large pieces
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 250g pack baby button mushrooms
- handful thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml chicken stock
- 200ml milk
- 500g pack fresh puff pastry, or frozen and defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large, non-stick frying pan.
- Season 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs and fry for 5-8 mins until golden brown, turning occasionally. You may need to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Lift the chicken onto a plate and tip 8 smoked, streaky bacon rashers, cut into large pieces, into the pan. Fry for 5 mins until crisp.
- Add 1 halved and sliced onion, 250g baby button mushrooms and a handful of thyme sprigs, then fry on a high heat for another 3 mins until the onions start to colour.
- Tip 2 tbsp plain flour into the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- With the pan off the heat, gradually stir or whisk in 400ml chicken stock, followed by 200ml milk, then add the chicken back to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 mins. Spoon the filling into a large pie or baking dish (approx 20 x 30cm) with a lip and leave to cool.
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. On a floured surface, roll 500g puff pastry to the thickness of two £1 coins.
- Cut a long strip as wide as the rim of the pie dish and, using a little of the 1 beaten egg, fix to the edge of the pie dish.
- Brush with beaten egg, then lift the rest of the pastry over the pie, using the rolling pin to help. Gently press the edges with your fingers and trim with a sharp knife.
- Brush lightly with egg to glaze, then bake for 30 mins or until the pastry is risen and dark golden brown.